Limited to women and girls over the age of 12 (under the age of 18, parental guidance is required) this four-hour introductory course requires no prior firearms experience, and is designed for novice shooters, as well as those who have no experience at all with firearms, and want to know how to load and unload, and shoot accurately and safely. This course is designed to build confidence in the safe handling and basic operation of a semi-automatic or revolver type pistol. This course is also excellent preparation for the shooting qualifications required to obtain a Concealed Carry Handgun permit.
Course Objective: Students who complete the course will have gained significant knowledge about how to handle (load and unload) and shoot a handgun safely and accurately from distances of up to 10 yards.
- General firearm safety
- Verify safe, loading, and unloading procedures
- Understanding and applying the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship
- Clearing weapon malfunctions
- Drawing from a holster
- Range fire drills designed to reinforce the fundamentals
- Firearm cleaning and lubrication
Training schedule: Showtime is 9:30 am with instruction starting at 10:00 am and ending at 2:00 pm.
Required Gear & Ammo (See course option above):
- Pistol with 3 magazines or revolver with 4-speed loaders
- 100 rounds of pistol ammunition
- Holsters, magazine/speed loader pouches
- Gun belt or a strong belt that will support the holster (khakis, jeans, or tactical pants with belt loops; no yoga pants)
- Eye and ear protection (clear and shaded lens are recommended)
Additional Required Items (student supplied):
- Rain or inclement weather gear
- Sun screen (non-greasy or water resistant recommended)
Course includes: 4 hours of instruction and a certificate of completion.